5G SDR-LAB is a 16 – 30 GHz software programmable hardware transmitter and receiver which allows limitless communication laboratory experiments to be performed on a single device. The entry barrier is lowered to include the undergraduate students by providing a graphical programming environment.
- Learn next generation communication & convergence technologies (Software Defined Radio, Cognitive Radio including white spaces, Cooperative Communication, Communication over Cellular Network, Femto Cell, Wireless Network, Mobile Adhoc Network, Research in 4G/5G)
- Works with Linux GnuRadio, Compatible to LabVIEW™,MATLAB Simulink™ but does not need one!
- No recurring cost of software. Ever !
- ASIC Architecture: 16-30 GHz combines LNA, PA driver, RX/TX Mixers, RX/TX Filters, Synthesizers, RX Gain control, TX power control – 2 Radios
- -10dBm Transmit power & -90dBm Sensitivity Receiver
- FPGA program transmit & receive for high performance
- Differential Baseband Signals
- Modulation Bandwidth Programmable upto 50 MHz
- Supports both TDD &FDD Full Duplex upto 50MHz
- Calibrated +0.04 ppm TCXO (Almost no need for GPSDO!)
- Dual 100 MS/s, 12-bit ADC & Dual 100 MS/s, 12-bit DAC
- Up to 5GbpS/s USB 3.0 Data Streaming to Computer
- 200MHz ARM9 with 512KB embedded SRAM
- Alterra Cyclone FPGA with single cycle access memory, 18X18 multipliers for dedicated DSP & programmable general logic elements
- Works as spectrum analyzer, vector signal generator & vector signal analyzer
- Covers white spaces, broadcast television, public safety, land-mobile communications, low-power unlicensed devices, wireless sensor networks, cell phones, amateur radio bands.
- Future ready from simple FM to WCDMA/HSPA, 4G-LTE standard to whatever future may hold
- Hundreds of experiments and growing…..
The SDR-LAB is a software programmable hardware transceiver which allows limitless telecommunication laboratory experiments to be performed on a single device. The entry barrier is lowered to include the under graduate students by providing a graphical programming environment.The burden on faculty is lowered by using courseware designed at IITD from simple FM to most complex MIMO. Lab
technicians are eased by integrated hardware and software from same source for trouble free performance.
The system is ideally suited for applications requiring high RF performance and great bandwidth such as physical layer prototyping, dynamic spectrum access and cognitive radio, spectrum monitoring and even networked sensor deployment.
The Superspeed USB 3.0 interface at 5Gbps serves as the connection between the SDR-LAB and the mobile workstation.
This enables the user to realize 50 MHz of real-time bandwidth in the receive and transmit directions, simultaneously (full duplex). FPGA is autoloading so hadrware is plug and play as a pen drive! No need to program the FPGA for most cases!
The systems offers high bandwidth and dynamic range.External PPS and reference inputs can also be used to create larger multi-channel systems.ASIC houses complete RF and DAQ subsystems on a single board. Coupled with these benefits it hosts onboard RF Transceiver subsystems capable of tuning frequencies from 16GHz to 30 GHz.
Scope of Experimentation
- Introduction to SDR-LAB Hardware and Software environment
- On air transmission & reception using Analog modulation & demodulation techniques like AM, DSBSC, SSB, Narrowband FM,
Wideband FM, Stereo FM,
- On air transmission & reception using Digital Modulation & Demodulation techniques like ASK, FSK, BPSK, DBPSK, MSK, GMSK,
DQPSK, QPSK, OQPSK, pi/4QPSK, 8PSK,16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM,CPFSK, GFSK, and other variants,
- Spread spectrum techniques like CSS, DSSS, FHSS, THSS
- Multiplexing techniques like TDM, FDM/WDM,SDM, Polarization, Spatial, Packet Switching, MC-SS, OFDM
- Analog Channel Models like Noise (Uniform, Linear, Laplacian, Gaussian, Phase noise), Interference (Cross talk, Co-channel, Inter
symbol), Distortion (Inter modulation), Frequency response (Attenuation & phase shift), Group delay, Propagation Doppler shift,
Fading modeling slow, fast, selective/dispersive, Multipath, Rayleigh,Rician),
- Channel Coding & decoding-Convolutional, Viterbi, Trellis,
- Channel performance measurements (spectral bandwidth, Symbol Rate, Bit Rate, Channel Capacity, Channel Utilization, Signal to noise ratio, Bit Error Rate BER, Latency, Jitter, Eye Diagram, Constellation diagram, Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyser, Waterfall display
- Line Coding & Decoding Digital Baseband
- Filters-IIR, FIR, Pulse Shaping-RRC root raised cosine, High pass,Low pass, Bandpass, Band stop, FFT, frequency translating filter,
- Equalizer adaptive-CMA , Kurtotic, LMS DD
- Synchronizers-Costas Loop, Clock Recovery, Frequency locked loop, phase locked loop, correlate and sync, carrier acquisition,
- Modeling mathematical equations
- Networking- TCP, UDP, Socket, Broadcasting,
- Encoding decoding for data, voice & video-PSK31, MPEG, CVSD and more
- On air link for Voice, Data, Video,
- OFDM complete on air implementation
- GSM on air decoding from live signals
- CDMA Introduction
Vector Signal Generator Implementation*
Vector Signal Analyser Implementation*
MIMO 2X2 implementation*
4G LTE Implementation*
Radar, SAR, Doppler, FMCW Implementation*
Smart Distributed RF Sensors*
Phased Array Antenna Beam forming*
Satellite Radio Implementation*
GSM BTS & Network Implementation*
Student projects Research And more…..